|The One In Barbados, Part 1|
|Season 9, episode 23|
|217th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe and Mike get back together for good.|
May 15, 2003
"The One In Barbados: Part 1" is the twenty-third episode of season nine of Friends. It aired in two parts on May 15, 2003.
The friends head to Barbados for Ross' conference. Instead of enjoying the sunshine, the weather is rainy. Prior to their arrival, David asks Chandler for advice on his relationship with Phoebe due to her accidentally calling him Mike before. Chandler tells him that the breakup between Phoebe and Mike was because Mike didn't want to get married, but Pheobe did.
When they arrive in Barbados, Monica's hair gets all poofy due to the humidity. Chandler tells Monica about how David is going to propose to Phoebe. This causes Monica to meddle and call Mike, who shows up right as David is about to propose. Mike proposes instead to which Phoebe says she loves him but doesn't accept his proposal.
Later that evening, when Ross' speech is deleted (after Chandler opened an email and Ross's laptop got a virus), Charlie cancels dinner with Joey to help recreate it; but suddenly, they enjoy themselves. Rachel keeps changing her mind on when to tell Joey that she has feelings for him. When she is about to tell him and Charlie and Ross are about to go out for champagne to celebrate the finished recreation of the speech, Joey and Charlie end up going to dinner together, much to Ross and Rachel's humiliation.
Cast and Crew
Hank Azaria - David
Robert Alan Beuth - Professor Klarik
Joe Everett Michaels - Waiter
Paul Rudd - Mike Hannigan
Cali Sheldon - Emma Geller-Greene
Noelle Sheldon - Emma Geller-Greene
Aisha Tyler - Charlie Wheeler
Audrey Wasilewski - Sarah
Tony Sagastizado - Airplane Passenger
Kevin S. Bright
- Along with "The One In Barbados, Part 2", Matt LeBlanc received his second Emmy nomination of the series for this episode.
- This is the first episode that depicts Phoebe in another country, as she was pregnant when the gang went to London, and she's previously been skeptical about her chances of getting a passport.
- When Joey and Rachel get name tags to get into a convention, Rachel wears the name tag Kate Miller. Seven years earlier, there was an actress named Kate Miller, Joey's colleague and love interest.
- Chandler commented to David that you should "ask Joey if you want to know about if you get a burning sensation when you pee". Joey is shown to sleep with a lot of people, which could suggest he has contracted an STI (or multiple) in the past and therefore knows the symptoms; a burning sensation during urination is often the sign of an STI.
- This is the last appearance of Hank Azaria as David. David was in 5 episodes of Friends.
- After Chandler accidentally deletes Ross's speech and Ross tell him to "get out," David Schwimmer starts to crack up.
- For an unknown reason, the Netflix airing of this episode doesn't show Monica's call to Mike. Neither does the Channel 5 TV version.
- Joey is disappointed about the rain and not being able to dig a hole on the beach. In "The One With The Jellyfish" he digs a large hole on the beach and he is very excited to show it off to Chandler and Monica.
- In the UK, when they are showing every episode from the start to finish, this episode and part 2 is shown as a whole 1 hour episode, rather than in 2 parts, like the DVD version. (Not on the Channel 5 run).
- In the DVD version, the Netflix version and the Channel 5 run, when Joey and Rachel put name tags on themselves to sneak into an area, Rachel says, "Well, that's the most sex I'm gonna have this weekend". Joey then asks her, "In that case, shall I make sure its on real good", and touches her breast several times whilst rubbing the tag. She then replies with, "Thank you". (But she doesn't look happy about it.)
- Jennifer Aniston had an injured arm during the filming of this episode and was wearing an ace bandage during filming. She was wearing a bandage on her left wrist in "The One With The Soap Opera Party".
- There is a strong hint that Ross and Rachel still have a desire for each other from the awkward pause after Joey and Charlie leave.
- When Ross and Charlie are hiding behind a small tree from the people who want to throw them in the pool and talking about Joey, it is raining very heavily but in a different shot it is not raining.
- In 2003, an average computer hard drive was approximately 20-30GB. Even if the laptop had only half of that, there is no way it could have been erased in the time it takes Chandler to open an email.
- When Ross enters the hotel room where Joey and Charlie are, the door starts to close on Ross. Instant cut to wider shot and the door's starting to close again.
"The One With The Donor"
|Series Nine Episodes||Followed by |
"The One In Barbados, Part 2"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|