|The One In Barbados, Part 1|
|Season 9, episode 23|
|217th overall episode of Friends|
|Phoebe and Mike get back together for good.|
May 15, 2003
The gang head to Barbados for Ross' conference. Instead of enjoying the sunshine, the weather is rainy. Prior to their arrival, David asks Chandler for advice on his relationship with Phoebe due to her accidentally calling him Mike. Chandler tells him the cause of the breakup between Phoebe and Mike.
Upon arrival in Barbados, Monica's hair gets all poofy due to the humidity. Chandler fills in Monica about how David has decided to propose to Phoebe. This causes Monica to meddle and call up Mike, who shows up right as David was about to propose. Mike proposes instead to which Phoebe says she loves him but doesn't accept his proposal.
Later that evening, when Ross' speech is deleted (after Chandler opened an email and Ross's laptop got a virus), Charlie cancels dinner with Joey to help recreate it; but suddenly, they enjoy themselves. Rachel keeps changing her mind on when to tell Joey that she has feelings for him. When she is about to tell him and Charlie and Ross are about to go out for champagne to celebrate the finished recreation of the speech, Joey and Charlie end up going to dinner together, much to Ross and Rachel's chagrin.
Cast and Crew
Hank Azaria - David
Robert Alan Beuth - Professor Klarik
Joe Everett Michaels - Waiter
Paul Rudd - Mike Hannigan
Cali Sheldon - Emma Geller-Green
Noelle Sheldon - Emma Geller-Green
Aisha Tyler - Charlie Wheeler
Audrey Wasilewski - Sarah
Tony Sagastizado - Airplane Passenger
Kevin S. Bright
- When Joey and Rachel get name tags to get into a convention, Rachel wears the name tag Kate Miller. 7 years earlier, there was an actress named Kate Miller, Joey's colleague and love interest.
- Chandler commented to David that you should "ask Joey if you want to know about if you get a burning sensation when you pee". This is a callback to "The One With Phoebe's Dad" and the Mocolat story.
- This is the last appearance of Hank Azaria as David. David was in 5 episodes of Friends.
- After Chandler accidentally deletes Ross's speech and Ross tell him to "get out," David Schwimmer starts to crack up.
- For an unknown reason, the Netflix airing of this episode doesn't show Monica's call to Mike.
- Joey's disappointment in the weather and not being able to dig a hole at the beach is genuine. In "The One With The Jellyfish" he digs a large hole on the beach and he is very excited to show it off to Chandler and Monica.
- In the UK, when they are showing every episode from the start to finish, this episode and part 2 is shown as a whole 1 hour episode, rather than in 2 parts, like the DVD version. (Not on the 2018/19 Channel 5 run).
- In the DVD version and the Netflix version and the Channel 5 2018/19 run, when Joey and Rachel put name tags on themselves to sneak into an area, Rachel says, "Well, that's the most sex I'm gonna have this weekend". Joey then asks her, "In that case, shall I make sure its on real good", and touches her boob, whilst rubbing the tag. She then replies with, "Thank you".
- Jennifer Aniston had an injured arm during the filming of this episode and was wearing an ace bandage during filming. She was wearing a bandage on her left wrist in "The One With The Soap Opera Party".
- There is a strong hint that Ross and Rachel still have a desire for each other from the awkward pause as they look into each other's eyes after Joey and Charlie leave. This is reminiscent of the look they exchanged on Chandler and Monica's engagement night when they started kissing and after returning from the Geller anniversary party.
- Rachel saying "what's with the rain Geller" is a callback to "The One With All The Poker" when she said "your fly's open Geller".
- Ross doesn't tell Charlie he's been married three times, including telling her his last marriage was to Rachel.
- When Ross and Charlie are hiding behind a small tree from the people who want to throw them in the pool and talking about Joey, it is raining very heavily but in a different shot it is not raining.
- In 2003, an average computer hard drive was approximately 20-30GB. Even if the laptop had only half of that, there is no way it could have been erased in the time it takes Chandler to open an Email.
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Donor"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One In Barbados, Part 2"