"The One In Vegas" is the double-length season finale of the fifth season of Friends. Both parts aired as a one-hour long episode on May 20, 1999.
Monica gambles instead of making up with Chandler when she accidentally finds a betting card. While Rachel is sleeping Ross draws a beard and a mustache on her face. Rachel is really upset because it won't come off. Monica and Chandler make up when Monica tells him she won't see Richard anymore and that Chandler is the love of her life (she also does this before he attempts to leave Vegas).
Rachel doesn't want to leave her room so Ross and Rachel get drunk and play blackjack in Ross' room. Eventually the two get so drunk that Rachel draws a face on Ross and they decide to hit Vegas together.
Joey is unsuccessful trying to convince the blackjack dealer, his 'identical hand twin', to agree to make a deal with him. Phoebe, meanwhile, doggedly pursues an old lady who she calls a 'lurker', because the old lady has been winning on the machines that Phoebe played on unsuccessfully. They are hustled out by a burly policeman. Phoebe takes her seat at the blackjack table under the alias of Regina Philange, but an exasperated dealer begs the cop to take both her and Joey out.
Monica and Chandler win big in the casino. They bet that if they win the next round they will get married that night. The dice roll is uncertain either way, but the two decide to accept it and leave to find a chapel. They first go to a clothes store and decide to borrow a new blue T-shirt, which Monica tucks under her dress and pretends to be pregnant. When they find a chapel and briefly wonder if they should go through with it, Ross and Rachel burst through the doors, screaming drunk and freshly married, and changing their mind that this is too fast.
Cast and Crew
Thomas Lennon - Randall
Jeanette Miller - The Elderly Woman
Rick Pasqualone - The Croupier
Rojai Holloway - The Security Guard
Frank Novak - The Gambler
Gabi Simson - The Woman Dealer
Nina Mann - Attendant
Kevin S. Bright
- This is one of the rare episodes not to feature any New York scenes in the closing credits.
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, the elderly woman 'lurking' the slot machines lures Phoebe away with an apparent call from Monica and Chandler. After answering the phone, Phoebe catches on and shouts at the woman. Phoebe then asks her if she is the same woman from before, to which she shouts at her again.
- This episode is one of the few titles that doesn't begin with "The One Where..." or "The One With..." Also, the closing credits have a yellow font; this is the only episode in the entire series to feature this.
- This is one of the few times throughout all ten seasons the Central Perk set was taken down. It was turned into Caesar's Palace for this episode. It was also dismantled for the airport scenes.
- TV Guide named Ross and Rachel's drunken union the #1 Friends moment.
- This is Ross' last marriage shown on screen, since his hinted remarriage to Rachel happened after the series ended, just over five years after this episode. This marriage to Rachel takes place 12 months after his marriage to Emily.
- When Monica is playing craps while stood at the foot of the table (and when Chandler announces he's "going home"), the person directly on her right (left on-screen) is producer Adam Chase.
- While in some countries the "lurking" strategy may make sense, in Vegas slot machines' spins are completely independent of each other and controlled by a central computer, so there is no way to cash in on a machine that is ready to pay.
- At the end of the episode, the Elvis Presley song, Viva Las Vegas is played.
- The song playing where Chandler and Monica kiss is "Everybody Loves Somebody" by Dean Martin. This song also appeared on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode "Here Comes the Judge."
- Matthew Perry would later co-star with Thomas Lennon in a remake of The Odd Couple.
- After Ross and Rachel arrive in Las Vegas, Phoebe asks whether they were at a costume party because of Rachel's beard. In the original version, she assumes that Ross wants to portray Bob Saget, but in the German version, she thinks, that Ross wants to portray Tom Selleck who plays Richard Burke. Bob Saget was previously mentioned in "The One With Russ" when Rachel suggested Russ looked like him.
- Jennifer Aniston did the "Previously on Friends" voiceover before "The One In Vegas, Part 1" was briefly summarized.
- Chandler states that he has a condom in his wallet he's had since the age of 12. In "The One With The Vows" Rachel becomes pregnant after Ross and Rachel used a five-year-old condom.
- Chandler and Monica plan to get married in Las Vegas in this episode, until they see Ross and Rachel run out married. They actually get married in two seasons time.
- Monica has always had a motherly instinct, as evidenced here when she tucks a T-shirt under her dress and pretends that she is pregnant, caressing it lovingly. Ironically she is the only woman in the gang who cannot get pregnant during the course of the show: Phoebe was already pregnant in Season 4, and Rachel will be pregnant at the end of Season 7 and continues throughout Season 8.
- There are two names on the sign outside the Little White Chapel, Joan Collins and Michael Gordon. Joan Collins was mentioned by Monica in "The One With The Ick Factor" after discovering she'd slept with a high school student.
- This episode features on the Friends - The One with All the Weddings DVD.
- When Ross tells Rachel to go to the men's room to the right, after she went the opposite direction to the women's room, there is a sign behind Ross directing people in search of the men's room to go to the left.
- When Monica is told to hit an eight at the Craps board, the one visible die shows a one, making it impossible to reach eight. Yet they celebrate winning.
- When Monica throws the dice for the second time, one dice hits the camera lens (and rebounds as a four!)
- When Rachel and Ross are in the hotel room and Rachel goes to the mini fridge to get the liquor bottles, her purse is towards the head side of the bed by the pillows, in the next scene as she is putting the bottles on the bed, her purse strap is on top of the phone towards the bottom right side of the bed, then her purse is back towards the pillows in the next scene as she is spitting the macadamia nuts at Ross on the bed.
- After Joey leaves the hotel room that Ross and Rachel are in after playing cards while drunk, Ross eats something off the floor and says "there's that macadamia nut" and you can see a 7 (of diamonds or hearts) playing card on the floor next to him. He then spits it out and says "nope, something else" and now you can see the same red suited 7 card tucked halfway under the bed and 2 more cards on the floor, one being a 3 of spades or clubs that was not there in the last shot.
- After Phoebe wins at the machine using the lurker's quarter, a camera man is visible to the left of the slot machines.
- When Monica is placing the blue Caesar's palace sweater underneath her dress you can see black tights/pants, however when she is seen walking away with Chandler in the next clip she has no pants/tights on under her dress.
- When Phoebe wins on a machine with the old woman's quarter, or the lurker's quarter, the machine pulls up a purple grape and two 5s which would not be a jackpot.
- When Ross leads Rachel by the hand out of the hotel room, she leaves her bag behind but when they return, it's on her shoulder. In addition when Rachel and Ross return to the hotel room, the way the white cloth on the bed is folded is different to how it was before they left.
- In the last scene where Ross and Rachel drunkenly leave the chapel after getting married you can tell the "ok" Rachel says and the noises Ross make as they go out the door are voice overs done by Aniston and Schwimmer.
- Transcript of the episode including the deleted scenes
- "The One in Vegas: Part 2" at the Internet Movie Database
"The One In Vegas, Part 1"
|"The One In Vegas, Part 2"||Followed by |
"The One After Vegas"
|<< Season 4||Season 5||Season 6 >>|
|#01||"The One After Ross Says Rachel"||#09||"The One With Ross' Sandwich"||#17||"The One With Rachel's Inadvertent Kiss"|
|#02||"The One With All The Kissing"||#10||"The One With The Inappropriate Sister"||#18||"The One Where Rachel Smokes"|
|#03||"The One Hundredth"||#11||"The One With All The Resolutions"||#19||"The One Where Ross Can't Flirt"|
|#04||"The One Where Phoebe Hates PBS"||#12||"The One With Chandler's Work Laugh||#20||"The One With The Ride-Along"|
|#05||"The One With The Kips"||#13||"The One With Joey's Bag"||#21||"The One With The Ball"|
|#06||"The One With The Yeti"||#14||"The One Where Everybody Finds Out"||#22||"The One With Joey's Big Break"|
|#07||"The One Where Ross Moves In"||#15||"The One With The Girl Who Hits Joey"||#23||"The One In Vegas, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With All The Thanksgivings"||#16||"The One With The Cop"||#24||"The One In Vegas, Part 2"|