|The One On The Last Night|
|Season 6, episode 6|
|127th overall episode of Friends|
|Joey and Chandler play cups on their last night as roommates.|
November 4, 1999
It is the night before Chandler moves in and Rachel moves out. Rachel hasn't packed and everyone has to help her. All the guys quickly leave to avoid this, with Chandler and Joey telling them they want to spend their last night as roommates hanging out while Ross lies that he has to watch Ben (and, as Monica can see into his apartment, creates a fake Ben with a pumpkin for a head). Monica and Rachel begin to cry. Phoebe suggests listing things they won't miss about each other, but this backfires as Monica and Rachel soon descend into an argument. As the two constantly snipe at each other, Phoebe declares that she doesn't want Rachel to move in with her, worried that she'll end up falling out with Rachel like Monica. As a result, Monica begins to list things that are great about Rachel, and realizes just how much she is going to miss living with her allowing the two to make up. Monica then spots that Ben's 'head' has fallen off and Ross is forced to return and help.
Chandler wants to give Joey money as Joey is going through some financial struggles. He believes $1500 will be enough to pay off the bills. Chandler makes up a game on the spot called "Cups", which has no rules. Every move Joey makes in the "game", Chandler says that he wins a lot of money, e.g. two random cards may result in getting $1000. Joey falls for it instantly, "wins" $1500 and believes he is the best at it. Unfortunately, Joey goes off to challenge Ross and loses it all, claiming that Ross did all the things that Joey did, and now Ross thinks he is the best at "Cups". Joey then gives Chandler his ceramic dog as a goodbye present. Desperate to help Joey out, Chandler offers to buy it instead but Joey sees through Chandler's trick and won't accept his money, promising that can take care of himself.
Rachel leaves and Chandler and Monica officially begin living together, with Monica still missing her. Chandler arrives, and the two hug as they prepare to embark on the next stage of their relationship... only for Monica to notice the dog and ask what it is doing there.
The final scene involves Chandler trying to explain to Ross how Cups was just something he made up to give Joey the money. Ross assumes Chandler is just mad he lost his money and offer to play him for it instead. Seeing no other choice, Chandler agrees and begins creating more rules to ensure he wins his money back.
Cast and Crew
- This is the first of 10 episodes directed by David Schwimmer throughout the series.
- This is one of the few episodes that does not start with "The one with...." or "The one where..." in the title.
- Monica pokes fun at Rachel and Ross' on-off relationship saying: "I love Ross, I hate Ross, I love Ross, I hate Ross". This corresponds roughly to "The One Where Rachel Finds Out", "The One With The List", "The One With The Prom Video" and "The One With The Morning After". The next in Monica's sequence would be "I love Ross" which will be the brief period when they get back together in "The One With The Jellyfish".
- Rachel pokes fun at Monica for dating Chandler who lives opposite. However Rachel will briefly date Joey who also lives opposite and in addition, Rachel will have a child with and later marry Ross who lives across the street.
- The music playing when Chandler tries to trick Joey into winning $1000 is from the Goethe's "Dr. Faust"
- When Rachel finally moves out, she gives Monica her key back. However in the end of The Last One we can see that everyone has had a key to the apartment, including Rachel.
- When Joey and Chandler are playing cups the red cup moves places between shots.
- When Monica is chasing Rachel around the kitchen table, the top of Rachel's briefs can be seen.
- When Chandler is discussing the bills with Joey, he puts the bills on the table and picks up his check book. Joey says a brief line and then the shot immediately returns to Chandler and he's holding the bills again. In the same scene, the pen Chandler was holding disappears halfway through the scene.
- Transcript of the episode including the deleted scenes
- "The One on the Last Night" at the Internet Movie Database
"The One With Joey's Porsche"
|Series Six Episodes||Followed by |
"The One Where Phoebe Runs"
|<< Season 5||Season 6||Season 7 >>|
|#01||"The One After Vegas"||#10||"The One With The Routine"||#19||"The One With Joey's Fridge"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel"||#11||"The One With The Apothecary Table"||#20||"The One With Mac And C.H.E.E.S.E."|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Denial"||#12||"The One With The Joke||#21||"The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad"|
|#04||"The One Where Joey Loses His Insurance"||#13||"The One With Rachel's Sister"||#22||"The One Where Paul's The Man"|
|#05||"The One With Joey's Porsche"||#14||"The One Where Chandler Can't Cry"||#23||"The One With The Ring"|
|#06||"The One On The Last Night"||#15||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 1"||#24||"The One With The Proposal, Part 1"|
|#07||"The One Where Phoebe Runs"||#16||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 2"||#25||"The One With The Proposal, Part 2"|
|#08||"The One With Ross' Teeth"||#17||"The One With Unagi"|
|#09||"The One Where Ross Got High"||#18||"The One Where Ross Dates A Student"|