|The One Where Monica Sings|
|Season 9, episode 13|
|207th overall episode of Friends|
|Monica enjoys the attention she gets on stage.|
January 30, 2003
Phoebe convinces Monica to come to Mike's karaoke night at a bar, but tells her she doesn't have to sing. However, she gets Monica to change her mind who starts to sing and is applauded by the mostly male audience because they can see through her shirt. Chandler arrives later on and notices it and tries to get her to stop, but Monica decides to continue anyway due to the fact she thinks they still love her up there on stage.
Ross tells Chandler about him seeing Rachel kiss Gavin on the balcony after the party and says if she wants to move on then so will he. He goes to Central Perk to attempt to pick up girls failing drastically. Meanwhile, Gavin comes over to talk to Rachel about the situation with Ross. Rachel says it's fine but makes him hide when she hears someone entering the apartment (thinking it's Ross, but actually turns out to be Emma's nanny, Molly) which shows to Gavin that there is something wrong. He tells Rachel to talk to Ross. Meanwhile, a woman named Michelle enters the coffeehouse crying about a recent breakup. Ross makes his move and brings her to his apartment. Rachel comes back in and finds Ross and Michelle already feel a connection. Ross admits it was a rebound after she leaves after saying he saw Rachel kiss Gavin. She says it was a one time thing but Ross mentions how she gave her number to a man at the bar in "The One With Rachel's Phone Number." Ross tells how he called her and he put the message in his back pocket, frustrating Rachel for hiding her messages. The two realize that living together while not actually being together isn't working out, so Rachel and Emma move back in with Joey.
Meanwhile, Joey gets his eyebrows waxed but it hurts after the first one is plucked so he leaves. Chandler does the other one for him after revealing how he'd get his allowance by plucking the eyebrows out of his dad and co-workers ahead of performances.
Cast and Crew
Paul Rudd - Mike Hannigan
Dermot Mulroney - Gavin Mitchell
Melissa George - Molly
Jennifer Aspen - Michelle
Lori Alan - Sonya
Lisa Calderon - Michelle's Friend
Kristen Ariza - The Receptionist
DeAnna Steele - The Woman
Megan Linder - Woman #2
Gregory Graham - Coffee Shop Patron
- The episode is thirty minutes long as opposed to the regular twenty-two, as a result the transition from one scene to another suffers when the episode is edited to 22 minutes.
- This is the last appearance of Dermot Mulroney as Gavin Mitchell.
- This is the last appearance of Melissa George as Molly, although she is mentioned again from time to time.
- This is the last episode to have Monica's name in the title.
- In the uncut DVD episode, Chandler comments that Ross has two illegitimate children, but Ben was actually legitimate even if his parents (Carol and Ross) were divorced because he was conceived the one time that Carol and Ross had sex after she decided she was a lesbian. If a child is conceived while the parents are married, they are legitimate even if they divorce.
- At the piano bar, the following songs are performed:
- The place where the gang sings is a piano bar and cabaret called "Don't Tell Mama", the same name as a real life establishment. "Don't Tell Mama" is also a song from the musical, Cabaret.
- Rachel and Emma move out of Ross' apartment in this episode but will return permanently in just over 12 months time when Ross and Rachel get back together.
- Ross says he's fine about Rachel moving on but in reality he clearly isn't. He reacts worse though when he discovers Rachel and Joey are dating next season.
- Ross tells Chandler he's going to die alone. This is a callback to "The One Where Heckles Dies" when Chandler tells Joey this. In fact he will get back together for good with Rachel at the end of next season.
- Joey's eyebrows resemble those of Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) in the Star Trek films and tv series.
- Ross tells Chandler he threw the message away but tells Rachel he put it in his pants pocket. However the edited version omits the latter.
- During the argument between Rachel and Ross at his apartment, Rachel's shirt is inside out.
- In Central Perk, Phoebe mentions that Rachel has just gone back to work for four days after taking a five-month maternity leave, putting Emma's age just over five months. Emma was born in either April or May (not all sources agree on which month), which means this episode would have to take place in September or October. This figure cannot be accurate, as Emma has already lived through one Thanksgiving and Christmas. However if she was born in September (just before the Season 9 Premiere) , then this would be correct.
- The One Where Monica Sings at the Internet Movie Database
"The One With Phoebe's Rats"
|Season Nine Episodes||Followed by |
"The One With The Blind Dates"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|