|The One Where Phoebe Runs|
|Season 6, episode 7|
|128th overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel telling Phoebe that she runs weird.|
November 11, 1999
"The One Where Phoebe Runs" is the seventh episode of the sixth season of Friends, which aired on November 11, 1999.
After Chandler moves in with Monica, Joey finds sexy Janine, a dancer from Australia, as a roommate. She soon takes over his apartment with her belongings. Joey can't flirt with Janine because they live together and it would be too complicated. He is drawn to her and has to find a way to repel her, so he intentionally acts weird in front of her. But Janine tells him that though she finds him nice, she doesn't feel attracted to him anyway.
Chandler decides to clean the apartment as a kind gesture to Monica, only for Ross to point out afterwards that he would need to put everything back exactly how Monica had it or risk incurring her wrath. Being her brother and having lived with her for 16 years, Ross knows only too well how it is to be at the receiving end of her anger. He points out to Chandler that the back of the couch is not exactly aligned with the carpet, something the latter understands only when he sits on it and finds he can't put his feet up on the coffee table. When he calls Monica, who is in a bad mood at work and threatens to kill someone before she comes home, he fears the worst, and somehow manages to keep her out the door by lying that Ross is naked. When she does enter the house later, she is initially peeved, but when she finds out that Chandler put in the effort to arrange the apartment just the way she likes, she forgives him and they embrace.
Rachel and Phoebe go jogging in the park together to bond, now that they are roommates. Phoebe runs like an elephant because she feels it makes running a lot more fun and carefree, but Rachel doesn't want to go jogging with her anymore because she is embarrassing. Rachel pretends to be injured but goes on a jog anyway without Phoebe, angering the latter. She explains to Phoebe that she is conscious about "people with eyes" looking at her, at which Phoebe calls her uptight. Rachel agrees that she needs to loosen up and tries Phoebe's way of running. She feels so free and great doing it that she doesn't care about people staring, until she bumps into a horse and falls.
In the tag scene Ross tells Janine the same thing he'd been telling Chandler at the start of the episode, about computers being able to carry out the same amount of functions as a human brain by 2030.
Cast and Crew
- Janine is the second person outside the six friends to live in Chandler and Joey's apartment during the course of the series; the first was Eddie, who lived there from "The One Where Eddie Moves In" (S2E17) to "The One Where Eddie Won't Go" (S2E19). Kip lived there with Chandler before the series began but moved out after breaking up with Monica.
- This is one of the few episodes to have scenes filmed on-location.
- The magna-doodle has the image of a car crash and the word "oops".
- In the final scene showing Rachel running by herself, the Museum of Natural History, where Ross previously worked, can be seen in the background.
- Rachel mentions Kermit the frog and the Six Million Dollar Man. The latter was played by Lee Majors whom Phoebe describes as "being hot" in "The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath".
- This is the first and only time we hear Monica and Chandler called Mondler. The other main couple, Ross and Rachel, are referred to by many fans as Roschel but this is never heard in the series.
- This is the first episode in which a friend other than Phoebe is shown in Phoebe's apartment. In this case, Rachel.
- Rachel is embarrassed for Phoebe's running style. However, in "The One In Vegas, Part 1" (S5E23) she states that she's not easily embarrassed (although Ross disproves her quite easily).
- When Chandler hangs up the phone Ross says that the phone was facing other way, when actually it was not.
- When Phoebe is going to jump in front of Rachel, a man is seen running, but in the next shot the man is gone. After Phoebe says "it's me" the man is seen again.
- When Phoebe jumps from behind the tree to stop Rachel, you can clearly make out the wireless microphones on their backs under the clothing.
- In the scene where Chandler and Ross are trying to move things back in the right place, you can see a camera. It's in the right corner for only a few seconds. Chandler suggests to move the couch, but Ross tells him not to and then Chandler runs to the coffee table to move it. That's when it appears.
- In the scene where Phoebe and Rachel are recording a message on their phone and decide to go for a run when Phoebe "takes all the words" and records the whole message, she is not actually speaking but only mouthing to a pre-recorded audio. We can see this as she does not mouth "thanks" at the end of the message.
- Transcript of the episode including the deleted scenes
- "The One Where Phoebe Runs" at the Internet Movie Database
"The One On The Last Night"
|Series Six Episodes||Followed by |
"The One With Ross' Teeth"
|<< Season 5||Season 6||Season 7 >>|
|#01||"The One After Vegas"||#10||"The One With The Routine"||#19||"The One With Joey's Fridge"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel"||#11||"The One With The Apothecary Table"||#20||"The One With Mac And C.H.E.E.S.E."|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Denial"||#12||"The One With The Joke||#21||"The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad"|
|#04||"The One Where Joey Loses His Insurance"||#13||"The One With Rachel's Sister"||#22||"The One Where Paul's The Man"|
|#05||"The One With Joey's Porsche"||#14||"The One Where Chandler Can't Cry"||#23||"The One With The Ring"|
|#06||"The One On The Last Night"||#15||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 1"||#24||"The One With The Proposal, Part 1"|
|#07||"The One Where Phoebe Runs"||#16||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 2"||#25||"The One With The Proposal, Part 2"|
|#08||"The One With Ross' Teeth"||#17||"The One With Unagi"|
|#09||"The One Where Ross Got High"||#18||"The One Where Ross Dates A Student"|