|The One Where Rachel's Sister Baby-Sits|
|Season 10, episode 5|
|223rd overall episode of Friends|
|Ross realizes that Amy pierced Emma's ears.|
October 30, 2003
Monica and Chandler let Joey write a letter of recommendation for adoption, but they find out that he sent the letter in hand-written, but luckily the adoption agency likes it due to the fact they believe a child wrote it.
Rachel's sister, Amy, visits again, and decides to stay with Joey and Rachel which proves to be a quite a pain. While babysitting Emma, Amy gets her ears pierced much to the anger of Ross and Rachel, however the two sisters make up.
Mike takes Phoebe to a Knicks game on their anniversary planning to propose, unfortunately she says how tacky proposing at a game really is, ruining Mike's proposal. After realizing this she talks to her friends and decides she should propose to him in case he never does again. The couple go to another game and Phoebe proposes. However she embarrasses Mike when people boo and insult him. They go to a restaurant afterward, where Phoebe says that she doesn't mind how he does it, and states how cheesy it would be to hide the ring in a cake, which Mike has done, he then gives up and proposes right there and Phoebe happily accepts.
Cast and Crew
Dana Klein Borkow
- When this episode originally aired on NBC, it was "super-sized" to 28 minutes, not including ad breaks.
- The DVDs present these episodes as first aired, however, the Blu-ray presents them in their edited syndicated cuts (though the original super-sized versions are available as a special feature).
- As a result, the transition from one scene to another suffers when the episode is edited to 22 minutes.
- This is the second and final appearance of Christina Applegate as Amy Greene.
- Amy tells Rachel that Jill gained about fifteen pounds, a reference to Reese Witherspoon being pregnant at the time this episode aired.
- In the original aired version, Amy suggests bringing pasta to Jill, however Rachel says that "garlic bread is her weakness".
- The comments about "ass and face" are a callback to "The One With The Boob Job" (S9E16) when Rachel described how the body changes when pregnant.
- Despite Ross and Rachel's anger at Amy getting Emma's ears pierced, in future episodes Emma's ears are still pierced. Although, this is most likely because babies have to wear the same earrings for 6 months before they can take the earrings out. Ross got his ear pierced while dating Emily in season 4 (although this isn't seen after their engagement) while Rachel's ears were already pierced in The Pilot.
- Amy reveals that she was having an affair with Barry, Rachel's fiancee who she left at the alter in "The Pilot", while Barry and Rachel were together.
- Ross hints to wanting another child with Rachel ("We'll call the next one Ella"), which foreshadows the chance that they could have another child in the future, especially since Ross and Rachel do end up together and get married. This also foretells that Ross and Charlie will break up.
- Phoebe prays to Thor.
- In the movie Erin Brockovich (Amy and Rachel reference the titular character), the titular character is played by Julia Roberts, who played Chandler's brief love interest (Susie Moss) in "The One After The Superbowl, Part 2" (S2E13).
- The syndication version has several differences such as omitting the lines about the ring in the cake.
- Amy stays with Rachel and Joey in this episode. Rachel's other sister, Jill, stayed with Rachel and Phoebe in "The One With Rachel's Sister" (S6E13) and "The One Where Chandler Can't Cry" (S6E14).
- Amy borrows Rachel's clothes in this episode including a leather skirt. Jill also wore Rachel's clothes during her visit including a leather skirt.
- In a blooper for the scene when Chandler is on the phone to the adoption agency, Jennifer Aniston can be heard screaming "oh no" off stage.
- At the end of the scene when Amy says "he's rude" after the falafel seller whom she believes to be Ross ignores her, Rachel deliberately breaks the fourth wall by looking directly into the camera with a bemused look on her face.
- In this episode, Phoebe states that it's her and Mike's one year anniversary. Rachel then asks what the anniversary was of; ('First date? First kiss? First time you had sex?) and Phoebe says 'yeah!' implying that all those things happened on the first date. However, Phoebe and Mike's first official date was when Joey set them up in "The One With The Pediatrician" where the date ended badly and Phoebe stormed off, not to see Mike until the following day at the coffee house. However, she might feel that the blind date set up by Joey didn't count as their first date, and referring to their first "real" date.
- Monica states she proposed to Chandler, ("The One With The Proposal, Part 2", S6E25) but he finished it for her because she started to cry, so technically Chandler proposed to Monica and not the other way around. Plus Chandler said he proposed to Monica when they were discussing what to do with their money for the wedding, in "The One With Rachel's Book" (S7E02).
- Rachel proposed to Ross when they were drunk in Las Vegas, although nobody else might know this, and to Joshua after Ross and Emily announce their engagement in The One With All The Haste.
- After Ross takes Emma's hat off in the coffee shop, and the scene switches to a wide shot of the couch, Ross's mouth is not moving while he looks at everybody and says "There she is."
- The One Where Rachel's Sister Babysits at the Internet Movie Database
"The One With The Cake"
|Series Ten Episodes||Followed by |
"The One With Ross' Grant"