|The One Where Ross Dates A Student|
|Season 6, episode 18|
|139th overall episode of Friends|
|Ross and Elizabeth realize that it is the rules that a teacher should not date a student or a way to love each other more.|
March 9, 2000
"The One Where Ross Dates A Student" is the eighteenth episode of the sixth season of Friends, which aired on March 9, 2000.
There is a fire in Phoebe's apartment probably due to Phoebe's candles which has badly damaged her bedroom. Forced to move out while repairs are carried out, Phoebe agrees to stay with Joey since it was her candles that caused the fire while and Rachel gets to stay with Monica who is more than keen to have someone stay in her new guest room (dubbed 'Hotel Monica'). Chandler's friend Dana from college directs the new Al Pacino movie so Chandler has to take her out to get Joey an audition. However Dana recalls that she went out with this actor guy ten years ago but he never called her again after she did him a favour.
Investigators find out that the fire wasn't caused by the candles but actually but actually by Rachel's hair iron. Therefore, Phoebe and Rachel switch apartments. Rachel is surprised to find she actually enjoys living with Joey due to his easygoing nature, while Phoebe quickly gets annoyed with Monica's constant need to impress and strict rules.
Ross and Elizabeth have a great date and decide to start seeing each other, with Ross thinking that a professor dating a student is merely 'frowned upon'. Although he is still insecure because of the age difference, he decides he doesn't care what people think only to find that dating students is more than just frowned upon but could actually get him fired. Ross and Elizabeth like each other too much to stop going out and decide to keep it a secret from the faculty. Joey gets the audition but he forgets about it.
Cast and Crew
Alexandra Holden - Elizabeth Stevens
Bess Meyer - Dana Keystone
Richard Roat - Burt
Greg Wrangler - Fireman #1
David Warshofsky - Fireman #2
Louisa Abernathy - Lydia
David Moreland - Mel
James Michael Tyler - Gunther
- This is the first appearance of Alexandra Holden as Elizabeth Stevens in the series.
- As of this episode, all of the gang have at one point lived at Chandler and Joey's apartment;
- Chandler moved in before the events of "The Pilot" (S1E1);
- Joey also moved in before the events of "The Pilot" as shown in "The One With The Flashback" (S3E6);
- Monica and Rachel briefly lived there when they lost their apartment to Chandler and Joey in "The One With The Embryos" (S4E12) and lived there until "The One With All The Haste" (S4E19), and Rachel again lives here in this episode;
- Ross moved in after Emily's cousin kicked him out of his new apartment in "The One Where Ross Moves In" (S5E7) and lived there until "The One Where Everybody Finds Out" (S5E14), where he buys Ugly Naked Guy's apartment;
- And Phoebe briefly lives there in this episode.
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, Rachel figures out that the smell in Joey's apartment is old shrimp.
- Ironically, when she lived there in season 4, Rachel hated Chandler and Joey's apartment, but now she actually enjoys living there. Although, what she likes here is the fact that she doesn't need to live under Monica's rules.
- This is Joey's second failed attempt at being in an Al Pacino movie. He was cast as Pacino's "butt double" for a shower scene in "The One With The Butt" (S01E06) and he ended up getting fired for overacting the role.
- In the beginning of the episode, the strange fruit that Chandler holds up to Monica (to which she replies, "I don't know.") is a Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus, horned melon, African horned cucumber/melon, jelly melon, hedged gourd, melano).
- In this episode, Rachel wears the same grey shirt that says "Girls" on it as Susan in "The One With The Metaphorical Tunnel" (S3E4), except that on Rachel's shirt, the font is green and on Susan's shirt, it's purple.
- Monica and Phoebe living together proves to be as annoying to Phoebe as it had been as seen in "The One With The Flashback", both times for similar reasons.
- By this episode, both Ross and Monica have dated minors (Monica dated Ethan in The One With The Ick Factor); which is ironic because Ross disapproved of Monica's relationship with a minor and made fun of her for that reason.
- While Ethan was 17 and indeed a minor, Elizabeth is over 18 and therefore not a minor. However she is young enough for it to be inappropriate, which is something Ross previously showed disapproval of when Joey was teaching acting.
- Rachel also dated a high school student, Josh, shortly after her definitive break-up with Ross but this was just to get back at him.
- Ross and Elizabeth can't date on school campus, but they can date in public or even at Ross' apartment for which they have the right to do so.
- After Rachel says "I've never lived like this", Joey uses Monica's "I know" in an imitating voice.
- Ross is shown enjoying ice cream in this episode, when he admits to hating ice cream in The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs, because it is too cold. He also ate ice cream with Marcel in The One After The Superbowl Part Two.
- When Joey and Chandler are talking in the kitchen after throwing wet paper towels, a Krispy Kreme box of donuts appears and then disappears, then appears again.
- Monica wants to know how Rachel likes her eggs in the morning so she can bring her breakfast in bed, but when Phoebe and Rachel switch apartments Phoebe gets annoyed that Monica keeps making her food but makes her leave the bedroom to eat it because Monica has a rule against eating in bed.
- When Chandler, Joey and Ross are talking about Dana Keystone from college, Ross is holding a water bottle; it disappears, then he is holding it again.
- At the beginning of the episode, when Chandler, Monica, and Phoebe are having breakfast, the colored table napkin that Chandler uses keeps on changing position while he and Joey talk about getting an audition from his former colleague in college who is now a movie director.
- In the widescreen version (viewable on Netflix) during the scene when Phoebe allows Rachel to take the room in Monica's apartment, the bedroom wall ends abruptly and you can see the kitchen screen left.
- In a later episode, Ross admits he doesn’t like ice cream but during the date, Ross and Elizabeth are enjoying ice cream cones on their first date!
- When everyone is at Phoebe and Rachel's apartment and the fireman is asking them what might've caused the fire, his helmet switches hands between shots.
- The One Where Ross Dates a Student at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One With Unagi"
|Series Six Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Joey's Fridge"
|<< Season 5||Season 6||Season 7 >>|
|#01||"The One After Vegas"||#10||"The One With The Routine"||#19||"The One With Joey's Fridge"|
|#02||"The One Where Ross Hugs Rachel"||#11||"The One With The Apothecary Table"||#20||"The One With Mac And C.H.E.E.S.E."|
|#03||"The One With Ross' Denial"||#12||"The One With The Joke||#21||"The One Where Ross Meets Elizabeth's Dad"|
|#04||"The One Where Joey Loses His Insurance"||#13||"The One With Rachel's Sister"||#22||"The One Where Paul's The Man"|
|#05||"The One With Joey's Porsche"||#14||"The One Where Chandler Can't Cry"||#23||"The One With The Ring"|
|#06||"The One On The Last Night"||#15||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 1"||#24||"The One With The Proposal, Part 1"|
|#07||"The One Where Phoebe Runs"||#16||"The One That Could Have Been, Part 2"||#25||"The One With The Proposal, Part 2"|
|#08||"The One With Ross's Teeth"||#17||"The One With Unagi"|
|#09||"The One Where Ross Got High"||#18||"The One Where Ross Dates A Student"|