|The One With Chandler In A Box|
|Season 4, episode 8|
|81st overall episode of Friends|
|Kathy talking to Chandler, in the box.|
November 20, 1997
This episode is season four's Thanksgiving episode.
Joey refuses to forgive Chandler for kissing Kathy, despite all of Chandler's pleas for forgiveness. Joey tells Ross he has sentenced Chandler to five years silent treatment, but Ross talks him into hearing Chandler out. However, just as Joey is about to talk to Chandler, he sees Kathy and Chandler kissing, and he decides to go looking for another apartment. Chandler is willing to do anything to get Joey to stay, so Joey decides that Chandler has to spend six hours in a box, the equivalent amount of time Joey spent locked in the entertainment center when the robber locked him in. Chandler doesn't take the punishment seriously, though, and makes a number of jokes while locked in the box. Joey is upset by Chandler's attitude and tells him so, resulting in Chandler changing his attitude. Kathy shows up at the apartment and breaks up with Chandler while he is still locked in the box. This time, though, Chandler holds his silence thus proving to Joey how much he means to him. Joey is touched by Chandler's effort and forgives him and tells him to go get Kathy.
Monica is getting virtually no help with the Thanksgiving dinner preparation. When she goes into the freezer, she chips at some ice that unfortunately hits her in the eye. However, she is reluctant to go to her ophthalmologist, who happens to be her ex., Richard Burke. When she finds out Richard is out of town and there is an on-call doctor taking his place, she becomes willing to go. It turns out the on-call doctor is Richard's son Timothy, who happens to be very handsome and has just broken up with his girlfriend. Monica, now wearing an eye-patch, invites Timothy for Thanksgiving, and despite her friends teasing her, the two of them get along great, until they kiss and it reminds her too much of Richard.
Rachel's habit of exchanging gifts arises again when Ross asks Rachel about the gold necklace he got but she shows him a silver one instead.
Cast and Crew
Ross: Hey you know Mon, if things work out between you and Richard's son, you'll be able to tell your kids that you slept with their grandfather.
Monica: Fine, judge all you want to, but [to Ross] married a lesbian, [to Rachel] left a man at the altar, [to Phoebe] fell in love with a gay ice dancer, [to Joey] threw a girl's wooden leg in the fire, [to Chandler] live in a box!
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, Ross also calls Joey in the opening scene. He tells Joey that he has Chandler on the line, and Joey immediately hangs up.
- Joey uses the Tuscan insult: "Va fa Napoli!", the Tuscan equivalent of "Go to Hell!" which literally translates as: "Go to Naples!". However in "The One with Ross and Monica's Cousin" (S7E19), Joey reveals his whole family is from Naples so it is unlikely he would use a Tuscan insult that mocks his city of origin. That, or Joey's naivete is so great that he would not realize or become aware of the literal translation. Rachel uses the same insult towards Ross when he keeps referring to her having exchanged the necklace he got her.
- Ross says in reference to Timothy, "He's coming here?" and Rachel adds "I know. It's like a Greek tragedy." This is a reference to the Greek play Oedipus Rex in which Oedipus unwittingly marries his own mother, Jacanta. The reference plays on Monica inviting Timothy Burke to Thanksgiving, having previously dated his father. Incidentally it's fitting that Rachel should have the line as Jennifer Aniston's family originate from Greece.
- When Joey is in Central Perk asking Gunther if he's seen Chandler, the pastry display has a potato in it.
- When Monica, Richard and Ross attended Jack Geller's birthday party around two years previous, Judy Geller suggested to Richard that he give Timothy's telephone number to Monica.
- After Monica tells Timothy their kiss reminds her of his father, Timothy says she reminds him of his mother.
- When Monica opens the door for Tim, Richard's son, she leaves the door open and never closes it and she calls him Dan.
- When Rachel is showing Ross the box of things from their date time, she pick up a bone that is light color in the end and dark in the base. When the camera angle changes from behind to the front of Rachel, she is holding the bone from different sides - light and dark points.
- Chandler says that Joey only knows the bad Italian words, but later in The One Where Ross Can't Flirt, Joey speaks Italian with his grandmother.
- In the widescreen/HD version, stage lights are visible inside the apartment on the left of the frame after Monica and Timothy kiss on the balcony.
- Rachel says she wants to stab herself in the eye with the pen she's holding but in a later episode she shows a distinct dislike of anything coming near her eyes although given Rachel's attraction to doctors (e.g. Ross and Barry) added to the cuteness of the doctor, this explains her statement.
- The One with Chandler in a Box at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Chandler Crosses The Line"
|Series Four Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One Where They're Going To Party"