|The One With Rachel's Big Kiss|
|Season 7, episode 20|
|166th overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel and Melissa.|
April 26, 2001
"The One With Rachel's Big Kiss" is the twentieth episode of the seventh season of Friends, which aired on April 26, 2001. It guest stars Winona Ryder as Rachel's old sorority sister, Melissa Warburton.
Rachel bumps into her old sorority sister, Melissa Warburton, in Central Perk. After talking for a few minutes, Melissa suggests they go to dinner. Once she leaves, Rachel reveals that in senior year of college she and Melissa went to a party and ended up kissing after drinking too much sangria. Joey becomes infatuated with the story, but when Phoebe learns of it, she doesn't believe it. Rachel attempts to convince her, but Phoebe insists that she is exaggerating and that she is too "vanilla" to do something like that. Rachel invites Phoebe to dinner saying that Melissa will tell her what happened. Phoebe agrees to go, but still doesn't believe it saying she "just can't picture it". Joey responds with "You should get inside my head". At dinner things start off well, as Melissa asks Phoebe if she has ever been in a sorority to which she responds "Of course. I was a Thigh Mega Tampon". Phoebe continues by saying they had to be shut down when Regina Phalange died of alcohol poisoning. Rachel segues into the night she and Melissa kissed, but Melissa appears to have no recollection of it. Phoebe isn't surprised to hear this, but Rachel insists that it happened. Melissa says that "if [she] thought it happened [she]'d say it". Throughout the entire dinner Rachel cannot let it go, at the end of the night Rachel confronts Melissa and says she won't let her take the experience away and kisses Melissa again to prove that she can do something crazy. Melissa takes this to mean that Rachel loves her, to the latter's confusion. She says confirms the first kiss did happen and she remembers their kiss and that she loves her as well. Rachel says that she is just a good kisser as Melissa becomes extremely embarrassed. She plays it off like it was joke though she mentions picturing Rachel's face while having sex with her boyfriend. She leaves but not before asking for another kiss goodbye though the latter doesn't partake. Once she leaves, Phoebe (now believing everything) kisses Rachel. She tells a stunned Rachel that she "just wanted to see what all the fuss was about". After Rachel asks "And?", Phoebe says "I've had better" and they walk off.
Monica has the seating chart for the wedding finished and Chandler is upset that he has so few guests attending on his side, with only about ten people. Monica assures him that it is not a contest, "certainly not a close one". When Joey asks where his parents will be sitting, Monica tells him that they weren't invited. Joey says that he told them they were invited because he thought parents were coming (knowing that Monica's, Chandler's and Ross's were coming). He pleads with her to invite them, and she reluctantly agrees. After rearranging the seating chart and ordering two extra meals from the caterer, Joey tells Monica that they won't be going. He says that they think they are unwanted, but asks Monica to call his mom and convince her otherwise. Once again, Monica reluctantly agrees. Later, Joey asks Monica for time to "vamp" at the wedding because his parents want to see him officiate, but his niece's christening is on the same day. Monica states that the wedding starts at six, but for another time, reluctantly agrees. When Joey tries to get Monica and Chandler's attention later, she breaks and says that whatever he wants he can have it, even if that included his mother standing "at the altar screaming racial slurs". But Joey just thanks them for inviting his parents. He, then, shows them a ridiculous hat his parents got him to wear at the ceremony.
At Ralph Lauren, Rachel helps Chandler find a tuxedo for the wedding. She shows him custom-made tuxedos that celebrities have worn to award shows and sent back. Chandler finds one worn by Pierce Brosnan and insists that he has to "get married in James Bond's tux". Chandler thinks he is the coolest until he learns that Rachel also found Ross a tux worn by Val Kilmer in Batman Forever. Chandler asks Ross not to wear it because he is supposed to wear the famous tux and that if Ross wears Batman's tux, it will make his less special. Ross declines, insisting on wearing the tux. When Chandler tries on Ross' tux, he discovers that the jacket is way too large and the pants are way too small. There is no way he can wear it. He, then, discovers that Ross' jacket wasn't from Batman Forever, but from the premiere of a At First Sight. Later Chandler finds a tuxedo that fits him well, until Rachel tells him it was: Diane Keaton's.
Cast and Crew
- Chandler: Batman is so much cooler than James Bond.
- Monica: What? 007 has all those gadgets.
- Chandler: Batman has a utility belt.
- Monica: 007 has a fancy car.
- Chandler: Batman has the Batmobile.
- Monica: 007 gets all the ladies.
- Chandler: Batman gets Robin.
- In "The One With Frank Jr." (S3E5), Ross puts Winona Ryder on his freebie list. However, in this episode Winona Ryder appeared as Melissa, and she wanted Rachel.
- As mentioned in The One Where Joey Loses His Insurance, Rachel was a Kappa Kappa Delta. Melissa is her sorority sister.
- As of this episode, Rachel has kissed all five of her friends.
- She kissed Monica (offscreen) to get the apartment back in "The One With All The Haste" (S4E19).
- She kissed Ross many times during their relationship in Season 2 and Season 3.
- She first kisses Joey on New Years in "The One With All The Resolutions" (S5E11)
- Chandler kisses her whilst covering his relationship with Monica in "The One With All The Kissing" (S5E2)
- In this episode, she kisses Phoebe
- In the uncut DVD version, Joey wants to get Melissa back into the coffee house after hearing about her kiss with Rachel, and wants Ross to get the sangria. Then, Joey also jokes that Rachel will want the drink at the wedding, and she tells him to get out.
- Rachel references her drunken marriage to Ross in The One In Vegas, Part 2 (S5E24).
- Rachel says the tuxedos she borrows were all taylor-made to fit the celebrities who wore them. Therefore, a tuxedo made for Pierce Brosnan, who's 6 feet and 2 inches, should be too big for Matthew Perry, who's only 6 feet. Similarly, a tux made for Diane Keaton (5 feet and 6½ inches) should be way too small for Chandler, not a perfect fit.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Ross And Monica's Cousin"
|Season Seven Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Vows"