|The One With Rachel's Book|
|Season 7, episode 2|
|148th overall episode of Friends|
|Joey reading Rachel's erotic book.|
October 12, 2000
The wedding planning starts and Monica already has a whole book full of information on everything you need for a wedding. Joey takes a nap in Rachel's bed and finds out that she reads dirty books and doesn't stop teasing Rachel about it. To give Monica and Chandler a little time on their own, Phoebe moves in with Ross for a couple of days. Ross freaks out when Phoebe does her massages at Ross' place and asks her to see her clients elsewhere. An attractive woman calls on Phoebe while she isn't there, and Ross tells her that he's the one who performs the massages... only for this to backfire when it turns out the woman is just accompanying her elderly father. Monica's parents spent the money for Monica's wedding on a beach house- having temporarily started the fund again when she dated Richard (which ended up being spent on remodeling their kitchen after the break-up) and never bothering to save money for her current relationship as they never believed that Chandler would actually propose- so there is no money for the wedding. Chandler has saved exactly the amount they need for Monica's dream wedding but Chandler won't spend all of his savings on one day. The old man Ross massaged is not coming back after the bad massage he got. If Monica wants the perfect wedding Chandler will spend all the money they have but Monica decides that she wants a marriage and not just a big wedding. Rachel scares the jokes out of Joey forever when she tells him that she wants rough sex with him.
Cast and Crew
Elizabeth Talbot-Adams - Scarlett (uncredited)
- The Magna Doodle has two hands holding a heart, which is wearing a crown. This symbol is known as a Claddagh Ring.
- Ross tells Chandler that he should "just turn up and say the right name." This is a reference to Rachel running away from her wedding to Barry and Ross saying Rachel at his wedding to Emily.
- Chandler reveals that his mother has married for a fourth time. She will appear at the wedding at the end of the season.
- This is the last time the duck is referred to as still being alive and living in Joey's apartment, even though it isn't seen onscreen. In "The Last One, Part 1", it's revealed that the duck died somewhere between that episode and this one.
- In an alternate epilogue, Phoebe gives Ross a massage in his apartment then hits him with a phone book and sarcastically asks him if he wanted a traditional hand-one. When Ross responds in the positive, Phoebe grabs his Smilodon skull to make it worse.
- It's revealed that Judy was pregnant with Ross when she and Jack got engaged. This may account for the reason Judy gives Ross his grandmother's engagement when Rachel's pregnant and why they're more acceptable to them having a child out of wedlock.
- Chandler says he and Monica will have twins and two boys, will live outside the city and have a place for Joey to grow old. In The One Where Chandler Gets Caught, Chandler is followed to Westchester prompting Monica and Chandler to reveal they're moving out of the apartment. Furthermore they adopt twins whom they name Jack and Erica and their new house has a room for Joey.
- In the tv tag scene, Rachel pretends that she wants to have sex with Joey. However when they try to actually have sex when they're dating later in the series, it proves disastrous and causes them to break up.
- Phoebe is the second and last member of the gang to move in with Ross. Rachel will move back in next season when she's pregnant and again when Ross and Rachel get back together for good in the series finale.
- In this episode, Monica says "When you said cat, you meant dog right?" but in "The One Where Chandler Doesn't Like Dogs" (S7E8), Monica thinks that Chandler is allergic (Although it may be that Chandler accepted her 'correction' for the moment and then told her that he was allergic later).
- In this episode when Joey and Rachel are talking about Rachel's book in Joey's apartment, Rachel's handbag behind Joey keeps changing from a bag to a coat.
- In this episode, Ross mentions that he hasn't seen Monica's wedding book since the fourth grade, but in "The One With Ross' Library Book" he mentions that he skipped the fourth grade, although he could mean that he hadn't seen it since Monica was in fourth grade.
- When Rachel says "What, the duck?" in this shot, there is nothing on her hands. In the next shot, when she says "What the hell did the damn duck do now?" she holds a blue paper on her right hand.
- When Chandler says "Do I get to look in this book" the position of his left arm changes between this and the next shot.
- During dinner at the restaurant with Chandler and Monica, Jack and Judy Geller start to tell the story of how they got engaged. Jack says that he had just gotten Judy pregnant, but has no idea how. Judy says it was because the dog thought her diaphragm was a chew toy. However, in "The One Where Rosita Dies", it is mentioned several times that the Gellers never thought they could even have children and that Ross was a "medical marvel."
- At the same dinner, the amount of wine in Monica's glass increases between the start of the scene and the end.
- Joey doesn't know the meaning of the word 'vicar' however, he could have easily searched the definition using the V encyclopedia volume he bought in "The One With The Cuffs".
- When Monica and Chandler enter the apartment after dinner with Monica's parents and Chandler says "any extra cash my father has, he saves for his yearly trips to...Dollywood" The next shot shows Monica and her purse on the counter and her purse straps are facing the camera. The next shot shows her purse with the bottom facing the camera.
- When Rachel, Ross and Joey are at Central Perk and are talking about Rachel's loins, her purse moves positions.
- Joey says he doesn't want to take a nap at his apartment because the duck vomited on the sofa. But when he goes back to the apartment immediately after this, the sofa is completely clean (he may have cleaned the sofa of the vomit but been unable to remove the smell).
- Chandler talks about he and Monica having a cat in their new house but he already knows that Monica is allergic to cats as she was affected by Rachel's cat in The One With The Ball.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Monica's Thunder"
|Series Seven Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Phoebe's Cookies"