"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song" is the seventh episode of the ninth season of Friends, which aired on November 14, 2002.
Joey earned too much cash to keep hiding it, so Monica suggests investing in real estate, such as Richard's apartment for sale; Chandler accompanies him, and they find a videotape marked 'Monica.' After watching the tape, Monica tells Chandler that it isn't her (saying that the tape showed 'her' wearing cowboy boots, but says she has never wore them in her entire life.)
Phoebe has her first dinner with boyfriend Mike's classy parents, Theodore and Bitsy Hannigan, and some boring acquaintances, but despite a chance to seem classy and 'normal', she disappoints his parents. But Mike sides with her and saying that they are too boring and their guests, and even calls her 'the woman he loves.'
Ross is the first to make baby Emma laugh, but Rachel is disgusted to learn that he made her laugh by rapping 'Baby's Got Back' by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Rachel later tries to get another laugh out of her, but is unable to and resorts to rapping 'Baby's Got Back' herself, and it works. Soon, both Ross and Rachel are singing the entire song to the baby as well as acting out a provocative dance number when the rest of the gang catch them.
Cast and Crew
Elizabeth Davidson - Emma Geller-Greene
Genevieve Davidson - Emma Geller-Greene
Gregory Itzin - Theodore Hannigan
Robin Krieger - Cathy (realtor)
Cristine Rose - Bitsy Hannigan
Paul Rudd - Mike Hannigan
- This episode's subplot with Chandler, Joey, and Monica is strikingly similar to an episode of the British sitcom, Coupling, which aired two years prior. The episode in question, "The Cupboard of Patrick's Love," features the main character Steve obsessing about a sex tape his girlfriend Susan made with her ex, Patrick. Similarly, while watching it at Patrick's flat, Steve and company fail to notice that it had been taped over with another sex tape until Susan bursts in and points it out to them.
- When Chandler and Joey are at Richard's apartment, Joey sits on the couch and puts his hand down his pants. This is possibly a reference to Married... With Children, as Al Bundy has his hand down his pants all the time on the couch. Matt Leblanc guest starred on the sitcom and starred in a Married... With Children spin-off called Top of the Heap. It's also a callback to Ross' comment in an earlier episode to Rachel when she's balancing a drink on her pregnancy bump and he says "if you stuck your hand down your pants, you'd look just like Joey."
- At the start of the episode Joey wears a sweatshirt with 'Greenwich' emblazoned on it, the location of the friend's apartments.
- When Joey and Chandler are watching Richard and Monica's sex tape, when Chandler exclaims, "It's just football!" the mat on which Joey will tackle Chandler is clearly visible near the door to the apartment. After Monica walks in, Joey pulls her down on the floor and you can see a knee-pad strapped to her leg.
- In this episode, Monica says that Chandler is jealous of Richard because Richard has a mustache and Chandler can't grow one. This is incorrect because Chandler had a goatee earlier in the series (seen in a flashback and a season two episode).
- When Chandler and Joey are about to watch the tape, the bedroom door is closed, but in the next shot it's open.
- When Chandler goes to get beers to watch the tape, which has turned out to be a football game between the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Giants, the TV is actually off in the next shot, but sound is still emitting from it. The 49ers and Giants played each other during the opening week of the 2002 NFL season and would face off again in the playoffs that same season.
- It is weird that Chandler was so shocked Monica would make a sex tape with Richard because in the episode "The One With Ross' Sandwich", they were about to make one before Joey interrupted them. Also, when she was dating Pete, she mentioned that they were going to watch a film of themselves that they made earlier.
- Phoebe and Mike leave his parents house without having the butler fetch Phoebe's jacket and purse.
- Rachel says that Wallace Pinscher took the SAT's for her but in "The One Where The Stripper Cries", Rachel says that she won't do good on her SAT's tomorrow. It's possible Wallace changed his mind about taking the SATs for Rachel or it was a last minute offer.
Ross: [to Emma] And that's why, no matter what mommy says, we really were on a break.
[in Richard's apartment]
Chandler: Oh, my god. There's a tape here with Monica's name on it!
Joey: Ooh, a tape with a girl's name on it. It's probably a sex tape. [pause] Wait a minute. This says "Monica". And this is Richard's apartment.
[Joey looks thoughtful]
Chandler: Get there faster!
[Joey gasps and points at the tape repeatedly]
[Joey and Chandler are looking at the apartment that Richard is selling]
Catherine: All the appliances are included. There is a lot of light, a new kitchen... I think you guys would be very happy here.
[Joey and Chandler laugh]
Chandler: No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. We're not together. We're not a couple. We're definitely not a couple.
Catherine: Oh. Okay. Sorry.
Joey: Well... you seem pretty insulted by that. What? I'm not good enough for you?
Chandler: We're not gonna' have this conversation again.
Rachel: Take it from me. Mothers love me. Ross' mom actually said that I'm like the daughter that she never had.
Monica Geller: She said WHAT?
Phoebe Buffay: That she's like the daughter that she never had. Listen.
[Monica looks at Phoebe angrily]
Monica and Rachel: Hey!
Phoebe: Listen, you have to help me pick a dress 'cause I'm meeting Mike's parents tonight!
Monica: Wow, the boyfriend's parents, that's a big step.
Phoebe: Really? That hadn't occurred to me.
Monica: Sweetie, they're gonna love you. Just be yourself.
Phoebe: They live on the upper East side on Park Avenue!
Rachel: Oh, yeah, she can't be herself...
Phoebe: Alright, so, which dress? [shows them two dresses]
Phoebe: [long pause] You can say neither...
Monica, Rachel: Oh God, neither!
Monica: I'm sorry honey, we're gonna take you shopping, it's gonna be fine.
Rachel: Yeah, totally, you are in such good hands and I am so good with meeting parents. With the father, you know, you wanna flirt a little bit but not in a gross way, just kind of like "Oh, Mr. Pinser, I can see where Wallace gets his good looks from."
Monica: You went out with Wallace Pinser?
Rachel: Ah, he took the SATs for me.
Monica: I knew you didn't get a 1400!
Rachel: [scoffs] Well, duh!
Ross: I sang, actually I rapped, "Baby Got Back"?
Rachel: You what? So you sang, to our baby daughter, a song about a guy who likes to have sex with women with giant asses?!
[Rachel has just gotten Emma to laugh by rapping "Baby Got Back"]
'Rachel: Oh, Emma. You really do like big butts. Oh, you beautiful little weirdo.
- Ross and Rachel sing "Baby Got Back" to Emma on YouTube
- Transcript of the episode
- "The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song" at the Internet Movie Database
"The One With The Male Nanny"
|Season Nine Episodes||Followed by |
"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|