|"The One With Russ"|
|Season 2, episode 10|
|34th overall episode of Friends|
|Russ and Ross meet.|
January 4, 1996
"The One With Russ" is the tenth episode of the second season of Friends, which aired on January 4, 1996.
Monica is back with Fun Bobby, whom the guys find really funny. However, after a night hanging out together, the empty wine bottles standing on the table are too much to go unnoticed; the thing is that not one of the gang drank more than two glasses, which leaves only Fun Bobby as the remaining drinker. This brings to the fore the fact that Fun Bobby has a drinking problem. When Monica points this out to him, he quits drinking, but his new, not-so-funny stories bring out a more serious problem in him - he's only funny when he drinks. Monica doesn't want to be with creepy, sober, serious Bobby, but at the same time she can't let him fall off the wagon, so she starts drinking herself.
Rachel starts going out with Russ, a guy who is in every way the identical copy of Ross. Everyone sees this in him (including Fun Bobby), except for her and Ross, who classifies him as a complete jerk. Ross is at a loss to see what Rachel can ever see in him, unaware of the uncanny number of similarities there are between him and Rachel's date. When the two start bickering, Rachel sees this and becomes aware of the common features Ross and Russ share. She becomes shocked that she didn't notice it and walks away, in disbelief.
Following a bad review of a play he was in, Joey contacts Estelle to try and get some better work. She gets him an audition for a part on Days Of Our Lives. However, he confesses to her that he's under the impression that he'll definitely getting the part if he sleeps with the network casting lady. She calls the network and confirms this to him. Joey mulls it over, fearing that his whole acting career could take the big step forward only because of this fling.
Fun Bobby tells Monica that she has a drinking problem, and that it's hard for him to stay with her. Chandler and Ross give money to Rachel and Phoebe as they have lost the "Monica-and-Fun-Bobby-won't-break-up" bet. Just a little later, Joey comes to tell everyone how he refused his part on Days Of Our Lives as he didn't want to sleep with the network casting lady. After walking out on the casting lady she catches him at the elevator and offers Joey an even bigger role on the show as recurring character Dr. Drake Ramoray, which he has accepted. He goes to shower, and Ross and Chandler win their money back from the girls.
At the coffeehouse, a devastated Russ tells the guys that Rachel dumped him, when Julie enters with a bunch of Ross' stuff. Russ notices Julie; she notices Russ, and a spark of passion flows between the two.
Cast and Crew
- This is the final appearance of Lauren Tom as Julie in the series.
- This is also the final appearance of Vincent Ventresca as Fun Bobby.
- Russ is a doctor like Ross but whether Rachel knows this is unknown. Also Russ works in dentistry like her ex-fiancee Barry whose wedding she attends at the end of the season.
- Rachel says she will not be dating Ross but Russ then enters who is a doppleganger for Ross. In fact Rachel and Ross start dating in a few episodes time. Later in the series they marry and have a child together (although both times they were drunk and Emma was conceived by accident). However they get back together for good in the series finale, remarrying shortly afterwards.
- When reading the reviews about his last play, Joey says he's "been doing this for ten years". However, in "The One With The Butt" (S1E7) he says he's been acting for six years.
- This is the first time Phoebe has said that Ross (or Russ in this case) reminds her of Bob Saget: in "The One In Vegas, Part 2" (S5E24), she thought Ross had dressed up as him. In this episode Rachel first suggests Russ looks like Bob Saget.
- Despite being played by David Schwimmer, the character of Russ was credited at the end of the episode as being portrayed by "Snaro". David Crane joked that Snaro was his Croatian friend. It later turned out that Snaro actually was a tribute to his friend, but is also David's alias.
- David Schwimmer is the second person from the main cast to play two characters, the first being Lisa Kudrow.
- The music that plays during Russ's first appearance is similar to the theme song of The Twilight Zone.
- Ross says "Ditto", which is word for "same". That was a running gag in the 1990 movie, "Ghost", which Monica mentioned in "The One With Ross' New Girlfriend".
- In the DVD version, Russ and Julie leave the coffeehouse with Julie saying she's had enough coffee but in the tv version, the credits roll immediately after the music plays as they clap eyes on each other.
- When Estelle pulls out a cigarette, you can clearly see that there is no tobacco in the tubes. Actually, the cigarettes are upside down so what you are seeing is the white filters.
- When Fun Bobby leaves Monica's bedroom, the wine glass next to Rachel is red but when he drinks from it, it's blue.
- When Monica is reading one of Joey's reviews she says "See page 153", however she actually mouths 155.
- When Ross says (about Fun Bobby) "he's here", Rachel picks up the bowl and blue glass and turns towards the cooker but when Ross completes the line with "where is he" we get a different shot of Ross but in the foreground Rachel is making the same turn again.
| Preceded by|
"The One With Phoebe's Dad"
|"The One With Russ"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Lesbian Wedding"