|The One With The Fertility Test|
|Season 9, episode 21|
|215th overall episode of Friends|
|Monica and Chandler know that they're both infertile.|
May 1, 2003
"The One With The Fertility Test" is the twenty-first episode of season nine of Friends. It aired on May 1, 2003.
Rachel receives a gift certificate to get a free massage at a chain massage center, which Phoebe doesn't want her to take advantage of as she feels it takes away business from independent massage therapists like herself. What Phoebe doesn't tell Rachel is that she's one of the employees at the very same massage center. However, she has a hard time concealing her identity to Rachel, her client, during her massage. Unfortunately for Phoebe, Rachel recognizes her as her masseuse due to seeing Phoebe's new shoes which she showed her earlier.
Joey's having a great time with Charlie, who is new to the city. She asks him to show her around, but the places she wants to visit make Joey's tour impossible for him, as she wants to visit museums about which he knows pretty much nothing. He asks Ross to help him with the tour, and he actually memorizes a script of the most important works of art. The tour works great, except that Joey takes the left path instead of the right and talks to Charlie about paintings which are not present. Ross explains to Charlie that Joey did this because he's crazy about her and he thinks it's important to her.
Monica and Chandler, who have been trying to have a baby for a year with no success, decide to go to a fertility study. The couple meet Janice, who Chandler talks to after "depositing his specimen". Although Chandler is quite sure that everything is all right with him and Monica, he's still nervous about the results. Later, he receives a call from Dr Connelly, who explains the truth - due to the low motility of Chandler's sperm and Monica's inhospitable environment (uterus), the two are very unlikely to conceive kids naturally. Although both very upset, Monica and Chandler resolve to find another way to have kids.
Cast and Crew
- When Ross describes the layout of the Met to Joey, it is mostly true to the real layout. The Egyptian exhibits are indeed directly to the right upon entering the Museum's great hall. The Mesopotamian exhibit however, is located up the grand staircase and to the left.
- Monica and Chandler discover that they can't have kids.
- Jennifer is wearing a bandage on her left wrist.
- Chandler objects to using a cup for his fertility test. This is a callback to Joey's 'science experiment' in "The One Where Rachel Finds Out" when he took place in a sperm test.
- Ikea is the name of a Swedish furnishings store.
- Chandler mentions barcaloungers. Chandler and Joey owned a pair of these but were broken while Rachel lived with Joey during Season 7.
- Monica tells Chandler that they have been trying to have a baby for over a year. They started trying the day that Emma was born, but they don't celebrate Emma's first birthday until The One With The Cake in Season 10.
- While Phoebe is massaging Rachel (as Ikea) she calls Rachel "a high maintenance tight-ass" but in "The One With The Joke" in season 6, the girls' storyline revolves around Phoebe picking Rachel over Monica as her hypothetical girlfriend because Rachel is more easy going while Monica is too high maintenance. Then again, the episode also determined that Phoebe is flaky and will say anything.
- When Charlie is explaining to Joey what she had done all day, the wine glass switches from her hand to being on the table next to her between shots.
- When Monica asks Rachel "Why do you care so much" Rachel's hands' positions change.
- When Ross begins suggesting places where Joey could take Charlie, his right arm is on the couch's arm. In the next take, his both arms are together.
- Chandler mentions Monica's class trip to the Hershey Factory. Hershey Factory tours ended in 1973 when Chocolate World was opened giving simulated factory tours on an automated ride. Monica wouldn't have been old enough to go to the factory on a class trip.
- The episode opens with the gang talking about Joey kissing Charlie at the party "last night". However, the end of the previous episode showed Chandler tricking Monica and Phoebe into attending the one woman theater show. Monica and Phoebe are wearing different clothes, so they must have attended this after the first scene of this episode, but it is never mentioned again.
- When Ross begins talking with Charlie after her museum date, a book (A Guide to New York? ) mysteriously appears in his hands, then disappears, reappears and finally disappears again as Charlie and Joey leave.
- After Rachel tells Phoebe "but I'm still going hunting" she starts to turn towards Monica but in the next shot Rachel's starting to turn again.
- The One with the Fertility Test at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Soap Opera Party"
|Series Nine Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Donor"
|<< Season 8||Season 9||Season 10 >>|
|#01||"The One Where No One Proposes"||#09||"The One With Rachel's Phone Number"||#17||"The One With The Memorial Service"|
|#02||"The One Where Emma Cries"||#10||"The One With Christmas In Tulsa"||#18||"The One With The Lottery"|
|#03||"The One With The Pediatrician"||#11||"The One Where Rachel Goes Back To Work"||#19||"The One With Rachel's Dream"|
|#04||"The One With The Sharks"||#12||"The One With Phoebe's Rats||#20||"The One With The Soap Opera Party"|
|#05||"The One With Phoebe's Birthday Dinner"||#13||"The One Where Monica Sings"||#21||"The One With The Fertility Test"|
|#06||"The One With The Male Nanny"||#14||"The One With The Blind Dates"||#22||"The One With The Donor"|
|#07||"The One With Ross' Inappropriate Song"||#15||"The One With The Mugging"||#23||"The One In Barbados, Part 1"|
|#08||"The One With Rachel's Other Sister"||#16||"The One With The Boob Job"||#24||"The One In Barbados, Part 2"|