|The One With The Jam|
|Season 3, episode 3|
|51st overall episode of Friends|
|Chandler and Ross' Hug and Roll.|
October 3, 1996
Monica has decided she needs a project to help her get over Richard, so she takes to making tons of jam (the 'Jam Plan'). When she realizes that she is spending more than she can potentially make by selling the jam, she comes up with a new plan (the 'Baby Plan'). She wants to go to the sperm bank in order to get pregnant and have a baby. She searches through potential sperm donors, even coming across Joey, until she finds the one. Everyone disapproves of this plan, but Joey is the one to talk her out of it when he starts depicting her as a married woman with kids, which is what Monica really wants.
After somehow managing to call Janice fat by accident, Chandler goes looking for help from Ross and Rachel. They are willing to help him out, until Chandler asks about the cuddling problem that he has at night, when he cannot sleep comfortably because Janice is cuddled up against him. Rachel says that she and Ross are "cuddly sleepers" and tells him that they cannot help him. Ross, on the other hand, knows exactly what Chandler is experiencing and lets him in on a secret after Rachel has gone to work. He explains how, with Rachel, he waits for her to fall asleep and then hugs her to his chest, and rolls her to the other side of the bed.
Unfortunately, Chandler does not succeed in carrying Ross' solution without rolling Janice off the bed. He also fails to keep his secret from Janice, who tells Rachel, who becomes annoyed at Ross.
Meanwhile, Phoebe is being stalked by a strange man, Malcolm, who thinks that she is Ursula. It turns out, that in spite of his restraining order, he is still crazy about Ursula, who went on a date with him and then refused to return his calls. Phoebe helps him get over her, but as she has a crush on him, she starts going out with him instead. Things go well until she is convinced by her friends to follow him to see if he is still following Ursula. He is sad that Phoebe does not trust him and has taken to stalking him, but as it turns out, Malcolm is still stalking Ursula. Understandably, this freaks Phoebe out, and she breaks up with him.
Cast and Crew
Kevin S. Bright
Rachel: What happened to your jam plan?
Monica: I figured out I'd need to charge 17 bucks a jar to just break even. So I've got a new plan now. Babies.
Chandler: Well, you're gonna need much bigger jars.
- Joey hurting his arm was not originally part of this episode, but Matt LeBlanc dislocated his shoulder while filming the previous episode, and the injury was written in.
- This is the final appearance of the subway.
- When Malcolm and Phoebe first meet for the first time, a poster for REM can be seen in the window of the music store. Their song Shiny Happy People was considered as the theme for Friends.
- Chandler mentions the girl from the xerox place in this episode (the second time he had done so).
- David Arquette (Malcolm) was actually Courteney Cox's boyfriend at the time the episode aired. The two would later get married in 1999, which is featured in the credits of the Season 6 opening episode.
- When Chandler is in bed with Janice, he comments that "you could fit a giant penguin in the bed space". In season 5, Joey mentions Hugsy his "bedtime penguin pal".
- Phoebe suggests that Malcolm stalk her by the end of the episode. In the uncut DVD episode, Malcolm can be seen climbing into Monica's balcony from the fire escape. Monica and Joey tell him that "she [Phoebe]'ll be back by five".
- Monica looks for sperm donors in this episode. Later in the series she learns she's unable to have children which causes her to turn to adoption, finally adopting twins with her husband Chandler in the series finale.
- When Ross, Monica and Rachel are discussing her jam, Rachel's arms are folded but when the angle changes, Rachel's right hand is on the back of the chair.
- About five minutes into the episode during a conversation between Chandler, Ross, and Rachel in the girls' apartment, a shadow can be seen passing behind the closet door in the back. This happens while the three friends are the only ones in the apartment, meaning that someone else was walking by backstage.
- When Phoebe is talking to Malcolm for the first time, her hands constantly move places, whenever the shot changes, with no time to do so.
- In the scene where Ross tells Rachel that they are alone in the apartment, while he is leading her into the living room, the crew lights are visible at the top of the screen.
- When Rachel and Ross are sitting in the coffeehouse, Ross is supposed to be eating his cake with a spoon but the cake doesn't change appearance at any point, even though one shot shows him digesting some of his cake.
- When Ross and Rachel swiftly sit up when Chandler enters the scatter cushion is lying down but when Rachel gets up the scatter cushion is upright even though Rachel hadn't moved. In the same scene, Rachel's arms go from by her sides to folded in one shot.
- In the scene where Malcolm is talking to Phoebe in the subway, you can hear him but his lips aren't moving.
- In the tag scene when Ross hits Chandler with his rolled up magazine, he only folds over one-third of the magazine. When it cuts to him hitting Chandler the magazine is fully folded over.
- About 22 minutes in, during the conversation of the sperm donors, the boom mic can be seen multiple times above them.
- In the tag scene, Ross tells Chandler that "women talk" but Ross had already told Chandler that they share everything two episodes ago in The One With The Princess Leia Fantasy.
- The One with the Jam at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One Where No One's Ready"
|"The One With The Jam"|| Followed by |
"The One With The Metaphorical Tunnel"