|The One With The Metaphorical Tunnel|
|Season 3, episode 4|
|52nd overall episode of Friends|
|Rachel and Monica help Chandler win Janice back.|
October 10, 1996
Phoebe impersonates an agent to get Joey auditions. However, he has trouble getting parts because of his acting. Phoebe is more straightforward with Joey about this than Estelle, but although he initially appreciates it, he reveals to her that her straightforward comments might not be what he needs in his career, and goes back to Estelle.
As things move forward with Janice, Chandler starts to freak out about commitment and goes to the guys for advice. Joey tells him to face his fear so Chandler meets with Janice and gives her a drawer. She thinks he's sweet, until he overdoes his bit and ends up declaring they should take a trip with her parents and that he and Janice move in together. This scares her off for awhile, but she later calls and Chandler confesses how he just wants to move forward in his relationship with her because he's crazy about her.
On his weekend visit, Ben shows up with a Barbie doll clutched in his hand. Ross tries to interest him in GI Joe and dinosaurs instead. Monica reveals that he used to dress up as a woman and host tea-parties and his parents and Monica call him "Bea".
The episode closes with an old video-tape of little Ross dressed up as a woman hosting one such tea-party. He spills tea all over the table, squeals like a girl and flees from the camera, while Monica jumps in to wipe up the spill.
Cast and Crew
Charles Thomas Allen - Ben Geller
John Christopher Allen - Ben Geller
Edo Azran - Young Ross
Jessica Hecht - Susan Bunch
Sierra Dawn Hill - Young Monica
Jane Sibbett - Carol Willick
Maggie Wheeler - Janice Litman
James Michael Tyler - Gunther (uncredited)
Doug Benson - Coffee shop customer (uncredited)
- In this episode, Susan wears the same gray shirt that says "Girls" on it as Rachel in season six's The One Where Ross Dates A Student, except that on Susan's shirt, the font is purple and on Rachel's shirt, it's green. Monica also wears this in "The One With The Morning After".
- At the beginning of the episode, Joey is featured in the Milk-Master commercial as the guy who can't pour milk. In The One With The Tiny T-Shirt, his fellow actress Kate recognizes him from the commercial despite him featuring in quite a few episodes of Days Of Our Lives, and makes fun of him by telling others to ask Joey to open their milk cartons. Later in the episode Rachel is seen using a Milk-Master just after criticizing Ross for trying to get Ben to give up the Barbie.
- In the uncut DVD episode, Chandler switches channel after the Milk-Master advert and Joey appears in a similar style advert for threading a needle.
- This is the second time Chandler's fear of commitment is shown. (The first time was in the episode, The One Where Heckles Dies in Season 2: Episode 3.) In later episodes, most notably in The One With Monica and Chandler's Wedding, Chandler almost whites out of his wedding because of he and Monica being "the Bings".
- Chandler wears a t-shirt with the stamp "Guggenheim New York". When Chandler and Janice meet anonymously online in The One With Barry And Mindy's Wedding, they visit together the website of the Guggenheim museum because, as Chandler explains to Phoebe, Janice likes art and he likes funny words.
- The supermarket where Chandler "accidentally" bumps into Janice is a branch of D'Agostino Supermarkets founded in 1932 by brothers Pasquale and Nicola D'Agostino. However due to financial problems only 10 stores out of 26 remained open by 2016.
- Visible in the background in the coffeehouse scene behind Phoebe when she tells Joey he didn't get the callback is Doug Benson who later plays Tom in The One Where Ross Moves In.
- Rachel comments to Monica after Janice calls Chandler and they make up "if it was a guy, he'd be sleeping with someone else by now". Ross and Rachel have a worse fight in The One Where Ross and Rachel Take A Break and Ross sleeps with Chloe the same night, all be it after getting drunk.
- In the end of this episode where they show a homemade video of Ross when he was a child and dressed as a girl, Monica is also seen as child, but as thin, despite the fact that they always refer to her as fat Monica and talk about how big she was when she was a little girl. Although, in The One Where Rachel Quits (and Ross has to sell Brown Bird cookies), Monica says that it was when she joined the Brown Birds was when she started gaining weight.
- Chandler's French Vanilla ice cream tub is held in several different positions through out the scene. Also at one point the tub changes to the same purple colour as the apartment walls.
- Rachel puts the ice cream tub and spoon down behind Chandler but a few shots later they appear back in her hand again.
- The One with the Metaphorical Tunnel at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Jam"
|Series Three Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With Frank Jr."