|The One With The Routine|
|Season 6, episode 10|
|131st overall episode of Friends|
|Ross going into the robot.|
December 16, 1999
The One With The Rockin' New Year
"The One With The Routine" is the tenth episode of the sixth season of Friends, which aired on December 16, 1999.
Janine is going to be a party person on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve and asks Joey, Monica and Ross to come along for the taping. Rachel, Phoebe and Chandler look for the gifts Monica got for them while the others are at the taping. After searching the apartment for gifts and unable to find them, Rachel ends up knocking on the bench in the apartment, realizing it is hollow and thus discovering where Monica hid the presents. Chandler, however, stops Rachel and Phoebe from opening the gifts by telling them that it isn't what Christmas is about, and that he wants to see Monica's look on her face when she opens his present and believes she will appreciate the look on his face when he opens her present. However, Monica happens to walk in and sees them with her presents, revealing to Chandler that she bought him a water purifier for Christmas.
Monica and Ross really want to be on TV but they would have to dance on the platform, which only the selected people are allowed to do. They put on the "routine" - a ridiculous looking dance they did in 8th Grade - for the selection guy, who claims to be impressed and tells them to do the same dance on the platform where they will be filmed and lets them believe they will be on TV, but when they are out of earshot tells his cameraman that he really just wants them filmed "for the bloopers roll". Joey wanted to kiss Janine on the fake midnight but missed his chance. When they get back home Janine kisses Joey.
Cast and Crew
Elle Macpherson - Janine Lecroix
Patrick Bristow - The Stage Manager
Lex Medlin- The Tall Guy
James Michael Tyler - Gunther
Sandra Plazinic - Dancer on Platform
Sybil Azur - The Dancing Girl
Alex Kalognomo - Dancer on Screen
Paul Sinacore - Party Goer (uncredited)
Kevin S. Bright
- In the uncut DVD version of the episode, Rachel, Phoebe and Chandler go to Central Perk in search of the presents Monica had hidden from them. Rachel flirts with Gunther to try and find out where they are and he faints. Also, after the countdown to New Year's on set, Ross and Monica continue to dance on the platform after everyone leaves.
- Because of the coming of the year 2000, ABC pre-empted the airing of Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve in favor of a special broadcast entitled ABC 2000 Today, although Dick Clark did conduct the New Year's Eve countdown as usual.
- The song 'Every Word Means No' by Smash Mouth playing at the beginning of the Rockin New Year's Eve taping was also played during Danny's party in "The One Where Ross Moves In" (S5E7).
- When Chandler says "if I help we could find them faster" he pretends to start looking for the presents with the girls but only picks up (and looks under) a fork or spoon off of the coffee table.
- When Janine leaves Central Perk a crew member, camera and a set of lights can be glimpsed.
- In the opening scene, when Ross is telling Monica and Chandler the story of the Dreidel, you can see Ross' lips moving without any sound coming out during a close up shot of Chandler and Monica.
- The start of the year 2000 is stated to be the "New Millennium", but in fact the 3rd millennium began on January 1st 2001, contrary to popular belief.
- At 9:22, when Janine says "We're together", her lips aren't moving.
| Preceded by|
"The One Where Ross Got High"
|Series Six Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Apothecary Table"