|The One With The Stripper|
|Season 8, episode 8|
|178th overall episode of Friends|
|Joey and Chandler's reaction to the arrival of the stripper.|
November 15, 2001
"The One With The Stripper" is the eighth episode of the eighth season of Friends, which aired on November 15, 2001.
Chandler finds out that Monica had a bachelorette party with a stripper even though they promised not to have bachelor/bachelorette parties. Rachel takes Phoebe to have dinner with Rachel's dad because she is afraid her dad will be really angry when Rachel tells him she's pregnant. Dr. Greene is delighted to hear he will be a grandfather but demands that Rachel tell him that she and Ross will be getting married. However, a few minutes later, Rachel says she is not getting married to Ross, so Dr. Greene freaks out and she tells him Ross told her she's "damaged goods". Monica feels bad about having had a bachelorette party so she organizes a bachelor party including a stripper for Chandler. Joey is the only "guest" at Chandler's bachelor party because Chandler is embarrassed and doesn't really want to have the party. The stripper arrives but turns out to be a hooker. Monica feels bad that her plan failed; she tells Chandler that she promised him a stripper and he's going to get one and begins to do a strip-tease for him herself, a solution that Chandler seems to be very happy with. Dr. Greene goes to see Ross just as he's enjoying a romantic evening with Mona, who hadn't known about Rachel's pregnancy. As a result, both are furious with Ross who tries to explain himself to them, with little success. The situation becomes more humiliating when he receives a phone message from Joey about the hooker. Rachel explains everything to her dad and Mona, who makes up with Ross. In the epilogue Dr. Greene is still yelling at Rachel, this time over the phone for not going through with the marriage, even though Rachel says she and Ross don't love each other. When Rachel leaves with the phone still off the hook, Dr. Greene not caring about her and Ross not loving each other yells "What the hell does love have to do with it anyway?! There are more important things in a marriage other than love!", revealing that he believes that love is insignificant in marriage. Joey picks the phone up and upon hearing Dr. Greene, who he thinks is just some guy, tells him to "Go to Hell!"
Cast and Crew
- This is the second and last appearance of Stu, Monica's antagonistic colleague. He previously appeared in "The One With The Girl From Poughkeepsie" (S4E10), which was 95 episodes ago.
- This is the first appearance of Dr. Greene since "The One With The Race Car Bed" (S3E7), which was 123 episodes ago.
- Rachel tells her father the wedding will be on February 2nd. This is six days before her birthday.
- This is the only episode that Dr. Greene is seen inside one of Ross' apartments (ones he owned).
- Ross is the only one of the main characters in this episode to wear the same clothing throughout the entire episode.
- Oddly, Chandler has no desire to smoke when the hooker smokes in the apartment.
- There are extra scenes in the uncut DVD version.
- It's revealed that Monica and Chandler have been married for 2 months, therefore Rachel is about 3 months pregnant.
- Mona finds out about Rachel's pregnancy.
- This is the first time Ross has stated he loves Rachel since The One At The Beach although he says it to her father and retracts immediately as Mona's there. It would seem that Rachel's father either chose not to tell her that Ross had said he loved her or simply was so angry he forgot.
- This is the first signs of a crack in Ross and Mona's relationship.
- Rachel tells her father that she and Ross are not getting married and later tells Mona that she and Ross are not getting back together. In just under three years time they do get back together.
- Phoebe says she doesn't eat chicken. When Rachel's father replies "I'll never understand you lesbians" some tv broadcasts omit the word "lesbians".
- The magna doodle shows an image of the moon landing. There's also an American flag by the fridge in Joey's apartment, a tribute to 9/11.
- Ross and Rachel discuss her father confronting him but they don't fight. In The One With Joey's Interview Rachel and Ross say they're not speaking to which Phoebe replies "at last".
- The shirt Rachel wears in her final scene is the same one the stand-in wore in a previous episode, although the extra wouldn't have been seen in the original 'safe' broadcast.
- The music Monica dances to in the final scene when she does the striptease for Chandler is from 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind' (2001) by Gwen Stefani.
- Joey is the only friend to stand up to Dr. Greene, even though he's doing it on the phone and thinks he's just some guy.
- The joke Monica makes "I knew giving you that book was gonna come back and bite me in the ass" was used before they go to their honeymoon in the original script of "The One Where Rachel Tells...".
- When Chandler is asking the hooker if she is a stripper, his left hand is on his leg. In the next scene, when she's explaining the extras, his hands are near his stomach. After this, when he's saying "nah ah ah nah", his left hand is on the air.
- The One with the Stripper at the Internet Movie Database
| Preceded by|
"The One With The Stain"
|Season Eight Episodes|| Followed by |
"The One With The Rumor"